Painting my Adeptus Mechanicus for Armies on Parade (I will post a write up soon!) has left me a little tired of painting mechanical models with so much red and metal. I have been left wanting to paint something organic and colourful, and this want was answered when I scored a great deal on a second-hand Tyranid lot on eBay.
The bundle consisted of a broken thickly painted Carnifex, 3 painted Tyranid warriors, 8 Genestealers, and many Hormagaunts and Termagaunts in varying states of assembly. I suspect that it was made up of the old Tyranid battle force box. Overall, the models were almost all salvageable despite the significant breakage and thick painting on some models.
In lieu of painting test models for my custom hive fleet, which I personally find tedious, I used an outline of a Gaunt from google and digitally coloured over it while using a Citadel paint chart as a reference. The scheme I decided on featured using a Green Stuff World colour shift paint. I haven’t thought of a hive fleet name yet, but I plan to run them with Kraken rules primarily..
I found batch painting these Hormagaunts to be less tedious than batching power armour. I particularly enjoyed painting the purple edging on the carapace. Nuln Oil Gloss gave the carapace a nice sheen that survived through the Amry painter matt spray. The models are very prone to falling forward due to their mass overhanging the base. To combat this I will get some washers to weigh down the base (this may help with storage later as I have some magnetic sheets tucked away somewhere…).
The Carnifex was a joy to paint. The only tiresome part was fixing the state of assembly that I received it in. The carapace had large gaps which I filled in using greenstuff, though this did not end up being very smooth. I broke off the end of the right scything talon to resemble battle damage.
The small eyes on the venom cannon it was assembled with had to be painted yellow after I saw how nice yellow looked on Pandora’s Bitz Box’s Hive Fleet Pandora Hive Guard.
The colour shift paint I used was not demonstrated well in these photos. In person, it shows as a slight bluish sheen in the weapon blades which is not overwhelming, but can catch the eye in the right lighting.
I am quite happy with the marsh basing. I have noticed that in the drying process some of the flocking seems to have shrunk, leaving some small white spots on the Carnifex base. I tried to combat this for the Hormagaunt bases by first painting them Kabalite Green.
I hope to sneak this Hormagaunt unit into Azazel’s Unit-ed October community painting challenge. I did not think I would get these done in time, but I was lucky to have some free time and painted them while watching corny horror movies.